Translate

Sunday 12 November 2017

A trip out with our pair

Glenda had been more than a bit nervous of taking our butty out since the last time with our altracation with the cruiser Waynetta
and the pig of a man that owned it. But she finally consented to taking both boats out.

Moored on Denford unofficial moorings.

Nene locks are great for a breasted pair.

The Friends of the river Nene's Peartree Farm mooring.

A lovely quiet spot.

Broken down at Lilford lock, I'd had to clear the weedhatch several times, this time I smelled diesel which was coming from a cracked pipe, luckily, as we had the butty with us, I also had my full workshop, so I managed to de-silver solder the tiny top hat olive, which then deformed, completely flattening it!                     After much fiddling, I finally managed to get it silver soldered back onto the pipe.
So off we go again, heading to the next disaster...
As we approached Upper Barnwell lock a cruiser overtook us, we arrived at the lock and they were still on the lock landing, I had to rough moor on the offside until they went into the lock, as I moved across to the lock landing Glenda shouted that a narrowboat was coming upstream, we moored as far back as we could go to give them room. I lifted the engine board and checked the oil pressure gauge which had stopped working, Glenda shouted to me to come into the lock, she never lets me cast off normally, I had to go between the boats as I couldn't get off the stern, I started to go into the lock and Glenda shouted that their were two narrowboats coming down behind me, I looked back then took a step forward and fell down the engine 'ole! Injuring my leg and then landing full force on my rib, breaking a rib and badly winding me.
I suddenly realised I was still steaming into the lock, I had hell of a job to reach up to the speedwheel to slow the pair and get Freyja into reverse.
Ouch!
Glenda wanted to take me to A & E, I said there was no point, so we carried on to the Ashton moorings


I insisted we walked up to the Chequered Skipper pub, as I knew I'd seize up if I stayed put.
Headlight and navigation lights work OK.

Moored at Tichmarsh

I love this view of our boats.
 The TWATS! (The Wadenhoe and Tansor Swimmers) in action.
At Islip lock.

We joined LyndZ Read for her annual Standup Paddle Board festival at the Friends of the river Nene's Woodford Moorings.

Glenda and LyndZ enjoying the remnants of last night's fire and a nice breakfast.

1 comment: