Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Before and after, how to improve the bilge from hell!

This is how our bilge looked when we went to pick up Freyja. Aquaduct marina had dropped her back in the water a week earlier than planned and then forgotten to grease the knackered stern gland.

A similar view, the BMC 1800 has gone, replaced by the Sabb 2JGR, I removed loads of oily bricks, layers of rust and grease, the sides of the diesel tank, the weedhatch (twice).

Still a lot to do before I'm satisfied! LOL!

Sunday, 11 June 2017

Engine porn! That lovely chugging sound ;o)


It was nice to be able to take a few of our guests out for a short chug downstream. Love the chuckles and giggles from Steve & Lisa as they wave back to our fellow moorers who are waving us off.

Our 'Nearly getting old' party

As Glenda was 50 years old in January and I'll be 65 years old in December, we decided to have a party at our marina, somewhere in the middle of the year. Weather wise, we couldn't have picked a better weekend.
We bought a mountain of locally made sausages, burgers and stuff for breakfast. We borrowed a marquee and a gazebo from Jaymee at the Cock Inn in Denford.
All we needed now was people to enjoy it!
Jaymee from the Denford Cock kindly loaned this marquee, on Friday evening we chilled with my kids who'd arrived from Wales and a few early arrivals.
My youngest son Jac, his girlfriend Lizzie came up from Wales, Danny was an early arrival from Suffolk.

72 pints of locally brewed Mad Monk and a pale ale that Graham brought from the Wirral.
Our neighbour Martin brought his 1913 Buick ragtop out to give rides to our guests.

Martin was kept busy all day!

Dave, our 'next door' neighbour and Denford friends Tim & Christine.
A great experience for my kids and their friends.
We were so lucky with the weather.

My hastily 'erected' Choppurinal came in handy with the amount of drinks quaffed!

Danny from Suffolk on barbeque breakfast duty the next morning.

From left to right :- My eldest son Sion, Glenda's daughter Becca, My son Jac's girlfriend Lizzie, my daughter Nia, my son Jac and Glenda's son Nick.

Nice to see that Glenda's friend Carol came up with Rob & Julie from Suffolk.

The mad hatters!

Nice Moggie convertible

Great to get to party with a few of my Welsh biker mates Phill, Steve and Lisa.

Let the party begin!
Lit a few pit fires at dusk.
Nice sunset over the marina.
View from Freyja as we chug out onto the river.

Enjoying the pit fire and the company.

A chilled evening around the pit fires.

A great time with lovely people.

Saturday, 10 June 2017

A successful trip at last.

We finally got out onto the river, with no problems!

It was a tad windy, but you'd never believe it from this photo.

Lush and green in the valley of the Nene!

Nice to escape the marina, Glenda had a short walk to work in Tiggywinkles Tearoom, Woodford.

Sunset at the Denford moorings.

Wednesday, 7 June 2017

The Sabb's first test run didn't go too well.

I finally managed to stem the many small leaks in our skintanks and, after resoldering all of my copper pipes and then pressure testing them, we decided to take a shortish test trip out on the Nene.
So, we headed downstream, but the temperature gauge shot up to over one hundred degrees and Glenda said that the inverter wasn't working. so it was that we only got as far as Ringstead Lower Lock.
There, I found I'd mixed the battery connections and quickly fixed that. I topped up the coolant and, after consulting Paul Johnson of PJ Marine (who also has a Sabb 2J and who convinced me to get ours) I blocked the calorifier feed so that water would be forced around the engine.

Then, it happened! The Sabb was chuffing away...Duff, Duff, Duff, Clank, Clank, Clank! EEEKKK! What the hell? Am I now going to have to rebuild my engine? At this point I was very low, months of slogging and expense to only get one lock downstream!
Right! We'll get someone to tow us back. So, I decided to slowly wind her downstream so we'd be pointing in the right direction.
But after winding, and just before we reached the lock landing, there was a PING! and she went back to her comforting Duff, Duff!
We decided to take her through the lock and then as she seemed happy, back to the marina.

Thursday, 11 May 2017

An agricultural gear change that ticks all the boxes.

As the Sabb gears need to be held in place, I had to figure out a way of either using levers and linkages, or maybe gearwheels and chains but I came up with a simpler long sprung steel lever.

I cut a slot in the lower cockpit shelf and added notched sections of chopping board, to hold it in neutral, forward and reverse.

It worked a treat, the lever springing into the various slots but, as it was so long, it vibrated badly, the solution was to make a second shelf, also with notches.

A proper gearchange!!

I decided to carve the Sabb logo into the top shelf. Also pictured is the newly restored brass water pump, unrecognisable from the tarnished and rust streaked lump that I started with.

The top shelf after carving and staining.

My motorbike on the tugdeck update.

The last time that I tried to put my 1959 B.S.A. G14 1,000 cc v-twin onto Freyja's tugdeck, I hadn't altered the tugdeck to allow it to sit down in the welldeck and it didn't have it's engine fitted.

It was a bit hit and miss, as I haven't worked out the ideal length of chain on the crane hook and have yet to buy some suitably sized loading strops.

The reason I've altered the tugdeck, by adding a 45 degree sloping section, is to allow the wide pullback handlebars to clear the tarpaulins, the weight will be lower, making the boat less top heavy and it will also make it more difficult to steal.

All snug as a bug in a rug!